Wells are a generally reliable source of water for many South Florida homes, but they can sometimes become clogged with bacteria and other nasty contaminants that affect the taste, smell, and flow. Fortunately, there is an equally reliable well water treatment often recommended as the go-to option for such distasteful dilemmas: shock chlorination. Here are some signs that your well may be in need of a shocking water cleansing treatment.
What Is Shock Chlorination?
The term “shock chlorination” describes the process of adding chlorine to water in order to shock or kill bacteria and other potential dangers that live in the affected area. It is a safe process that is routinely used to clean swimming pools. However, while homeowners often assume the responsibility of applying chlorine chemicals to their pools, the method of shock chlorinating a water well should only be undertaken by a professional with knowledge of the process. That’s because the method of cleaning drinking water requires a higher level of care and expertise than cleaning pool water. When added to a well, chlorine will similarly clean the water by killing any contaminants that are altering the taste, smell, and appearance of your drinking water.
The Signs That Your Well Needs Shock Chlorination
Here are some easy-to-spot signs that your well requires a shock chlorination treatment.
- Foul odors – Water that emits a rotten egg smell is most likely contaminated with a sulfate-reducing bacteria.
- Clogged pipes – Low water pressure and poor drainage can be the result of pipes clogged with sediment and other contaminants that need to be flushed out with shock chlorination.
- Dirty water – When water appears muddy or clouded, the cause can be traced to sources such as rainwater pollution in your water supply.
- Slimy toilets – Water contaminants like iron-rich bacteria tend to congregate in a single, warm and moist area, such as a toilet tank. If your toilet contains a slimy film, it’s time to shock it.
- Prolonged exposure – When a well’s lid has been open for an extended period of time due to service maintenance or repair, it increases the chances of unwanted elements entering the water supply.
Well Water Experts in Okeechobee
To ensure that your household is receiving the cleanest drinking water possible, contact the well experts at Domer’s Inc. Our professionals are well experienced in well water system maintenance such as shock chlorination. We can help reinforce your well so that your water supply is impenetrable from pollutants or any harmful contaminants that may be bubbling beneath the surface. For more information on our comprehensive well water services, call us today at 863-763-3417.