Practiced for centuries across many continents, hot iron branding is the most ancient form of permanent marking. Today, the longstanding practice of livestock identification has evolved to include several different, yet effective, methods. However, hot iron branding remains the most trusted option in the branding industry for ranchers and cattle owners.
The Purpose of Hot Iron Branding
An integral part of Florida’s economy, the cattle industry relies on hot iron branding to catalog each cattle owner’s inventory. The process consists of using a heated iron to affix a custom mark on livestock for the purpose of identification and organization.
A customized iron brand allows for the cattle to be permanently distinguished to a specific owner and registered through the International Livestock Identification Association (ILIA) — which accurately traces livestock in the United States and Canada. Under Florida statutes, the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) also requires livestock owners to register all marked or branded livestock.
The Benefits of Hot Iron Branding
When it comes to clearly identifiable brands, hot iron branding can’t be beaten. Here are some of the benefits of the traditional process.
- Cost-effective – An inexpensive option compared to other methods
- Durable – Provides long-lasting brands with minimal maintenance
- Compatible – Quick, efficient, and easy to use irons for branding pros or novices
- Versatile – By changing temperature settings, you can also brand wood, plastic, and leather
The Different Methods of Branding
In addition to hot iron branding, advancements in the field have expanded to include electric and freeze branding options.
- Freeze branding – A process that utilizes extremely cold branding irons to alter the hair follicles of livestock.
- Electric branding – No branding pots are needed for these customizable, quick-heating, plug-in ready, electric brands.
To keep successful records of all your livestock, consider custom branding. No matter the branding method you choose, Domer’s Inc. has the branding iron for you.
South Florida’s Premier Custom Branding Supplier
For more than 90 years, Domer’s has served the Okeechobee, South Florida area with state-of-the-art fabrications made right in our machine shop. We take pride in our custom brands and offer additional branding products in our retail store as well as outside services such as irrigation maintenance, hydraulics, and well drilling. To learn more about our expertise and high-quality standards, give us a call today at 863-763-3417.