If you get your water from a well, there is always the possibility of contaminants seeping in. Such contaminants can not only put your health at risk, but also the health and safety of others. To help keep your drinking water clean and free of pollutants, here are a few quick and easy well water maintenance tips.
Quick Ways to Check for Water Pollution
To tell if your well water is polluted, you can typically rely on your senses, such as:
- Sight – Water that is murky, cloudy, or otherwise discolored has probably been affected by contaminants.
- Smell – While a sulfuric odor is commonly associated with well water, water that has a foul or toxic smell similar to ammonia is likely contaminated.
- Taste – Water should have a regular water taste: clean and pure. If your water tastes impure, it probably is.
Monitor Activity Around Your Well
As a well owner, it’s important for you to be aware of what’s happening around your property. So, in keeping with your senses, listen out for and be aware of any of the following activity that could affect the integrity of your well water supply.
- Nearby construction, drilling, or ground disruption
- Unauthorized waste disposal near your well site
- Runoff flowing pesticides, fertilizers, or other harsh chemicals toward your well
- Potential water pollutant alerts
Homeowners who rely on well water often utilize a septic system. Septic seepage is a real danger to the quality of a well, so be sure to schedule regular maintenance for your septic system to prevent overflow or cross-contamination.
Schedule Well Water Tests
Routine water tests can also help you stay ahead of nasty water pollutants. While your water filtration system should filter out most harmful bacteria and minerals, it never hurts to get your system professionally inspected once a year. In addition to an annual well water system inspection, you should also have your groundwater thoroughly tested by professionals after the following events.
- Well repair or replacement
- Septic malfunction
- Local construction work
- Any suspicion of water contamination
Okeechobee Area Well Water Experts
To ensure that your household is receiving the cleanest drinking water possible, contact the well experts at Domer’s Inc. Our professionals are well experienced in well water system maintenance. We can help reinforce your well so that your water supply is impenetrable from pollutants or any harmful contaminants that may be bubbling beneath the surface. For more information on our comprehensive well water services, call us today at 863-763-3417.